Please, slow your roll, 2012! My gawd, this year is flying right by. Once again, Instagram makes it possible for me to remember what I’ve been up to since I can’t remember what I did 10 minutes ago without a visual reminder. Starting from the top:
1. In April I finally got to witness the amazing Garbage, live! As you may recall, I nearly lost my mind with excitement when Garbage announced their new album. All of the L.A. shows sold out in a matter of seconds, so the bestie and I drove up to Vegas to see them. TOTALLY WORTH IT. They were everything I had hoped for and Shirley is sexy as ever. Here’s a clip I recorded of them performing #1 Crush – and why do I always forget to turn my phone sideways?
2. Some friends and I went to check out the Transmission L.A. exhibit curated by Mike D of the Beasty Boys. Sadly, this was right around when MCA passed away, so the mood was a bit somber. We did get to experience lot of impressive, animated installations like the one above. All of those wheels were turning but my phone didn’t really capture any if the motion. Bummed that we missed the Kogi pop-up restaurant at MOCA, though.
3. One of the things I love about L.A. is simply having access. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in the presence of cinematic greatness simply because I’m local. I was lucky enough to score a couple of free tickets to a live Q&A with Danny Elfman at Warner Brothers studios to promote the new Dark Shadows movie a few weeks ago. DANNY freakin ELFMAN! He shared an interesting little story about how Johnny Depp recently confessed to him that he stole some guitar picks at an Oingo Boingo concert when he was a young lad, never thinking they would cross paths. Cute <;3
4. I accidentally stumbled upon the iconic, gargantuan donut that sits atop Randy's Donuts! One of those places I had always seen on TV but had never driven by, even though I've lived in L.A. my whole life. Something about seeing a giant donut that just makes you smile.
5. Ah yes, Halloween prep. So it begins. "But it's only May" you say. Puhlease. We normally start decorating/planning effects/building/crafting during the Summer and we STILL never have enough time. This year, one of the new effects we plan on adding is a ghost maid who will appear and disappear through one of the windows facing the street in front of our house. We filmed my friend Leslie in front of a green screen and below is a sneak peek at the end result:
Pretty fancy, aye? Yeah. We ain't messing around when it comes to Halloween ;p
Congratulations for getting to the end of this lengthy and way overdue post!